Moving and packing can be an exciting time full of new beginnings, but it’s also easy to get overwhelmed by all the tasks involved. That’s why our team of storage specialists are here to help! We’ve packed and moved countless items and we’re eager to share our expertise to ensure your belongings stay safe and sound.
With a few insider tips, you can say goodbye to broken dishes, crushed boxes, and missing items. Let us guide you through the process and make sure your belongings are in good hands. From preparing your boxes to choosing the right storage unit, we’ll be with you every step of the way.
- The first and simplest step to prevent boxes from sagging, splitting, soaking up moisture and spilling their contents out at inconvenient times is to use only professional-grade moving and packing boxes. These are purpose built to withstand the ravages of moving and storage and designed to protect your stored items over the long term. For high quality packing and moving supplies, visit our online box shop.
- Choose the right size and type of box for your purposes. Use smaller boxes for heavier items, such as crockery, books or artwork, and larger boxes for lighter items. Use specially designed “port-a-robe” boxes to store clothes and archive boxes for document storage.
- Once you’ve got your boxes, ensure each box is properly folded as shown in the video below.
- Be sure to secure the bottom of each box by folding the flaps so that they overlap and placing moving tape along the seams. Make sure the ends of the tape extend four to six centimetres up the sides of the box.
- Now you can flip the box over and start adding contents.
- Place heavier items into the box first and place lighter items towards the top of the box.
- Fill boxes to their maximum capacity to prevent them from crumpling when stacked.
- Don’t add too much weight to each box – check that you can comfortably lift the box before sealing it. If not, remove some items until you can.
- Fill any gaps with lighter, softer materials such as old tea towels, rags, bubble wrap or packing paper.
If you’d like more advice on how best to pack and protect your stored items, get in touch with our friendly team of storage specialists. We’re always happy to help.