Individuals, families and businesses frequently need to store electrical items such as computers, monitors, tablets, phones, televisions, printers, cameras, and other gadgets. These sensitive items can easily be damaged by heat, dust, damp and humidity during storage if packed incorrectly.
To ensure your electrical items are properly protected while in storage, and easy to reassemble and ready for use when the storage term is over, it’s important to follow these basic steps.
- Inventory all electronics before packing.
- Clean and dry all electronics thoroughly prior to packing.
- Tag cords and cables with coloured labels and take photos of the cable connections to help with reassembly.
- Remove any volatile parts such as batteries or cartridges.
- Store all cables, remotes, stands, wall-mounts and attachments in bags and tape these to the relevant piece of equipment.
- As far as possible, pack electronics in their original packaging. If original packaging is not available, use acid-free professional grade moving boxes.
- Place silica desiccant sachets into the packaging to protect your electronics from the ravages of damp and humidity.
If you follow these steps carefully and conscientiously for each electronic item you pack, and use a reputable self storage provider such as Roomia that offers clean, modern, weatherproof and pest-free storage units, there should be no nasty surprises when it comes to unpacking and using your items.
For high quality packing and moving supplies, visit our online box shop. If you’d like more advice on how best to pack and protect your electrical items, get in touch with our friendly team of storage specialists. We’re always happy to help.