Having a well-organised self storage unit can go a long way to relieving the pressure surrounding the life changes that can often accompany the need for storage. By taking the time to organise your items, you can feel confident that you’ll be able to find what you need when you need it.
At Roomia, we’ve made it our mission to help people create the space they need to adjust to life’s changes. Here are our top tips for properly packing your storage unit.
- Make sure that you have enough space in your unit. If you’re at all uncertain about how much space you’ll need, use our handy space calculator to help you choose the right sized unit or talk to our friendly team.
- Use only professional quality moving and packing supplies to ensure your boxes stay in good shape and your goods are protected. You’ll find everything you need at our box shop.
- Map out your unit and store items and/or boxes that you plan to use more frequently near the front of the unit.
- Create a detailed inventory of everything that’s going into your storage unit, including the contents of each box. Print it out and keep a copy close to the entrance of your unit. Save an electronic back-up copy to the cloud.
- Label each box with the room it belongs to and a description of the contents as well as a number that can be traced back to your inventory list for details of the box’s contents. Use marking pen directly on the box as adhesive labels may peel off. Store your items around the perimeter of the storage unit, a few centimetres away from the walls to avoid damp.
- If you’re storing a lot of items in your unit, be sure to create walkways between stored items so you can easily locate and access the things you need.
- Use pallets or plastic sheets to keep items from coming in contact with the floor of the unit to protect them from rising damp.
- For high quality packing and moving supplies that will protect your valuables while in storage, visit our online box shop.
Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to packing and storing advice. If you’d like more advice on how best to pack your storage unit, get in touch with our friendly team of storage specialists. We’re always happy to help.