The last thing you need on moving day is a visit to the emergency ward because someone has a nasty cut from poorly packed sharp objects. A proactive approach to packing and securing sharp objects will help prevent accidents and ensure your knives, blades and other sharp objects stay safe in storage and transit.
The challenge with packing sharp objects lies in ensuring that they don’t slice through and/or fall out of their boxes. You also don’t want them to be loose inside the box where they may cause injury to someone who is rummaging through it, looking for something else.
Here our storage specialists share a few handy tips that will help you to safely pack sharp objects.
- Invest in professional packing materials, including bubble wrap, packing paper and a heavy-duty packing box. Check out our box shop where you’ll find professional moving and packing supplies at affordable prices.
- Use bubble wrap, tea towels, rags or old clothing to wrap up sharp objects and keep them from damaging boxes and other items in storage or during your move.
- Separate your smaller and medium-sized knives into bundles according to their sharpness, size and use.
- For each bundle, place the first knife onto a sheet of bubble wrap or two or three layers of packing paper. Roll the bubblewrap/paper over the knife until it’s completely wrapped up. Add the next knife and roll again. Before the paper completely runs out, wrap it tightly around the knives and tape it closed. Repeat until all knives are wrapped. Then start on the next bundle.
- Wrap large knives, blades and saws separately by rolling them in a layer of bubble wrap and/or two or three sheets of packing paper.
- Place your sharp objects into heavy-duty boxes. Do not use inferior quality boxes or shopping bags to transport or store sharp objects as they may poke through the box or bag and cause injury.
- Inventory all sharp objects and make a note of which boxes they are in. Use a large marker to label all boxes that contain sharp objects. This will warn anyone handling or opening the box to take extra care.
For high quality packing and moving supplies, visit our online box shop. If you’d like to know more about storing sharp objects, or have any other storage questions, please contact our friendly team today. We’re happy to chat about all things storage.